While all Tilley hats need to be cared for, some are machine washable and some are not. Most Tilley hats have their care instructions printed on the woven label in the crown - check there first. Care instructions are also found on each product page at Tilley.com.
Standard washable Tilley hats
1. Check the label to make sure your Tilley hat is washable. Follow any special care instructions on the label.
2. Machine wash your Tilley hat, preferably alone, using a delicate cycle of warm or cool water. Alternatively, you can wash it by hand by gently using a scrub brush with any soap that does not contain bleach or any type of whiteners.
3. While the hat is damp, smooth and reshape by hand, then set it out to air dry. Do not put your Tilley in the dryer – it will come out misshapen. If it needs a bit of a stretch, do this once it’s dry (see further instructions below).
Non-machine washable Tilley hats
1. Check the label on your Tilley hat. Follow any special care instructions on the label. If your hat is dry clean only, please have it professionally cleaned.
2. If your hat is hand-wash only, use warm or cool water. Gently use a scrub brush with a soap that does not contain bleach or any type of whiteners.
3. If your hat is spot-clean only, use a soft, dampened cloth to clean any soiled areas. Most of these hats have a removable sweatband that may be hand-washed in warm water and soap and then air dried.
Removing sweat stains
Your best defense against sweat stains is frequent cleaning. Please care for your Tilley hat as noted on its label, and do so regularly to keep sweat stains at bay.
There is no universally applicable way of getting sweat stains out once they occur. Perspiration is composed of many chemicals, and the composition of each person’s sweat is unique.
Some Tilley fans have success with Palmolive® dish detergent and warm (not hot!) water. Once the hat is wet, pour the detergent directly on the stained area and use a soft brush, even a toothbrush, to scrub the area. Rinse in cool water, reshape, and let it air dry.
Do not bleach or use a detergent with any type of whitener. This will damage the fabric of your hat and results can be very unpredictable. Bleaching a Tilley hat will invalidate its guarantee.
Stretching your Tilley hat
Although we preshrink all our fabrics, hats will always contract and expand with washing and wear, just as denim jeans do. Whenever you’d like the hat a bit looser – like on those hot, muggy days – take it off and give it a quick stretch. Here’s how:
1. When your hat is dry, stretch it by putting your knee in the crown and pulling firmly on the opposite side.
2. Rotate the hat over your knee and repeat this process until all sides are stretched to your liking.