You said it
“Besides two trips to the UK, this hat has been to the Canadian Rockies, Switzerland, New Zealand, The Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Idaho, Martha’s Vineyard, Colorado, California, Hilton Head, Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the Yellowstone National Park among other locations. As an amateur photographer I have relied upon my Tilley Hat to be a part of my ‘uniform’, and my essential travel gear.”
T5 Cotton Duck Hat
The classic T5 Tilley Hat, designed with a medium brim, belongs to the category of Tilley Hat fabrics that started it all – the cotton duck. The fabric is derived from an incredibly durable sailcloth that is still used in boating today.
Read Reviews |
Write a Review
Select a Color : Khaki With Olive Underbrim
Select your size
Fitting the Hat
Please double-check that you have selected the correct sizing above before you add this item to your shopping cart.
- Guaranteed for life not to wear out
- Insured against loss
- Excellent sun protection, rated UPF 50+
- Dark underbrim for glare protection
- Repels rain, floats
- Ties on in the wind
- Machine washable, won't shrink
- 4-page Owner's Manual
- Secret pocket
- Medium brim with ventilation grommets
Brim size: Front: 2 5/8" Back: 2 3/4" Sides: 2 1/8"
Weighs 4.6 ounces
- Made from rain and mildew resistant pre-shrunk 10 oz. 100% cotton duck.
- The fabrics of all Tilley Hats have been certified to block 98 percent of harmful UVA/UVB radiation and deliver an ultraviolet factor (UPF) of 50+, the maximum rating given.
- You still need SPF 30 sunscreen and sunglasses with UV filters! Children especially need the UV filters in their sunglasses as non-filtering glasses will increase the size of their pupils, allowing even more of the damaging UV rays to enter. This often causes cataracts and retinal problems later in life and has happened in my (Alex Tilley's) own family.
- Yes, Dorothy, there can be truth in advertising. For instance, although our Hats block 98% of UV rays, some rays COULD enter through the ventilation grommets.
- We hand-sew each Hat using very strong thread; all seams are lock-stitched so they won't unravel. The brass is from Britain and is the best there is. All Hats are made with such care and dedication that one is as good as another. Your Tilley will be equal to that presented to a president or princess. ("Hi, Duke! How long have you had your Tilley?" could be an effective opener.)
- Wash it frequently or non-removable sweat stains will mar it and possibly rot it. Machine wash on delicate cycle separately or hand wash in cool water. Do not use bleach as it remains inside the Hat, slowly rotting it. Smooth and reshape the Hat by hand and set it out to air dry. When the Hat is dry, simply re-stretch it, as an American sailor showed us, by putting your knee in the crown, and pulling firmly on the opposite side.
You must log in to post a product review
Do you already have a Tilley.com profile?
( 5 )
Great hat, fabulous service!
I bought my T5 in Kelowna in British Columbia in 1999.
I was in the fruit business before I retired and during my work time and holiday travel since then, my hat and I have been to at least twenty countries and every continent except Antartica.
I was recently on holiday in Mexico and it seems that most discerning Americans and Canadians were wearing Tilley's.
One asked me what on earth I'd done to my hat? I explained that it was fifteen years old and although I washed it carefully in "delicates" washing liquid after every trip or holiday, it inevitably showed signs of "maturity".
He assured me that the Tilley "lifetime guarantee" was just that, not a marketing con', and I should contact Tilley.
I called Tilley UK when I returned home and sure enough, they sent me a new T5!
Matthew Brodie - Canterbury UK
( 5 )
Best outdoor hat without question!
I purchased my T5 getting on for ten years ago now and it is the one piece of outdoor kit that accompanies me on every trip - from canoeing to hiking and fly fishing. It's design keeps the sun off the back of my neck and sheds water well in a heavy downpour. It squashes down into a rucksack and regains it's shape perfectly. All in all, a superb, well-made and versatile hat - Well done Mr Tilley!
Andy B - Cheshire UK
( 4.5 )
I decided to buy this hat for my father because it was a very traditional and cool looking hat, when i got to the store to pick it up I noticed to strong fabric was actually modern sailing cloth, how cool is that? So I bought the hat and I really hope he enjoys it as much as I enjoy my T5MO.
( 5 )
Classic Tilley Hat
It's one that I find myself picking up and putting on for any occasion.
( 5 )
A Favorite Everyday Hat
The Cotton Duck T5 is comfortable and stylish. It is very water repellent and does a great job keeping the sun off your head. It's one of my favorite Tilleys!
United States )
b>HERE'S WHY TILLEY HATS ARE ACKNOWLEDGED 'THE BEST IN THE WORLD.'
APPEARANCE AND COMFORT:
To protect you from the sun and rain, Tilleys fit lower than other hats. This also tends to give one a rather dashing appearance!
For your comfort, they're held on by gravity, not painful pressure on your forehead. On a hot muggy day, you'll especially appreciate this!
Your Hat is guaranteed for life (yours, mine or its) not to wear out or fall apart. We're delighted to think that yours may be passed on to the next generation!
INSURED AGAINST LOSS:
With your Hat, you'll be provided with "The Straight-Shooter's Statement of Loss of a Tilley Hat" insurance policy. The insurance is for two years, all perils, 50% deductible, and is not issued by Lloyds.
We understand the anguish of losing this reliable companion, or of having your dog terminally gnaw it. Should that happen, we'll replace your late, lamented Tilley at half the current catalogue price.
EXCELLENT SUN PROTECTION:
The fabric of all Tilley Hats have been certified to block 98 percent of harmful UVA/UVB radiation and deliver an ultraviolet factor (UPF) of 50+, the maximum rating given.
Yes, Dorothy, there can be truth in advertising. For instance, although our Hats block 98% of UV rays, some rays COULD enter through the ventilation grommets.
Many Hats have a dark underbrim to reduce glare from water, sand and pavement.
Not perfectly but usually quite adequately. The brim channels water away for improved foul-weather protection.
A layer of closed-cell foam in the crown, and sometimes in the brim, provides the Tilley's positive buoyancy. This is a boon to boaters and fishermen/women/people. Good grief!
People have told us that this foam layer has helped save their lives. Double your money back if it doesn't save yours. Apply personally....
The Tilley comes with a tuckaway, adjustable, fore 'n' aft Wind Cord. When it's calm, the Wind Cord stays hidden in the crown. When there's a breeze, place the part with the sliding knots behind your head. When it's windy or you're sailing, use the chin part too.
See the Owner's Manual, which accompanies each Hat, for amplification or visit our Facebook page to watch the Tilley Hat Wind Cord tutorial.
After washing, smooth and reshape the Hat by hand and set it out to air dry. When the Hat is dry, simply re-stretch it, as an American sailor showed us, by putting your knee in the crown, and pulling firmly on the opposite side.
4-PAGE OWNER'S MANUAL:
You'll find it a good read. It's also available in Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean and Spanish. Please specify if it should be other than in English.
HYDROFIL® ANTI-SWEAT BAND:
Soft and comfortable, it picks up sweat from your forehead and wicks it away to your temple area where it evaporates.
Inside the crown is a good-sized pocket sealed with Velcro®. In it, carry your I.D., hotel key, $10 bill (in your case, a $20), plus 50¢ for an emergency phone call.
There are 8 of these in the Secret Pocket. You'll have fun with them; they can even get you into trouble, if you wish.
Most hat makers make 4 or 5 sizes; we make 13, and even individual Hats beyond that size range when necessary.
As a matter of principle, no one shall be deprived of the pleasure and privileges of Tilley Hat ownership simply because of an uncommon head size.
BUT WHAT MAY BE MOST WONDERFUL OF ALL?
Those who wear Tilleys usually have innate good taste, creative minds and uncommon intelligence. Everybody knows that! And the Hats serve to identify such people to each other - immediately.
Because of these exceptional yet shared traits, virtually always, especially in foreign countries, Tilley wearers greet each other. Friendships have been formed because of the Hat, and that can be the nicest thing of all.