You said it
“ I was able to wear my newly acquired Tilley Shirt all day in Mexico, wash it in the shower with shampoo, dry it over the dehumidifier on a lamp in the hotel room in about 10 minutes (the cuffs and collar were a little damp) and wear it out for dinner. The AdventureCloth Pleated Pants dry overnight on a skirt hanger without fail. The Tilley Hat (I acquired it 10 years ago) is a great place to stash my room key card and cash when I’m not wearing much else. I am truly impressed with your clothing! Mexico is quite the time too!”
R9 Tilley Combo
The R9 Raffia Tilley Hat is uniquely designed with a broad brim made of premium Madagascar raffia and a crown made of sturdy hemp. Trimmed with black binding and hatband, this Hat is an ingenious fusion of natural materials, style and sun protection.
Read Reviews |
Write a Review
Select your size
Fitting the Hat
Please double-check that you have selected the correct sizing above before you add this item to your shopping cart.
Brim size: 3 ¼” all around
- Insured against loss
- Excellent sun protection, rated UPF 50+
- Repels rain
- Ties on in the wind
- 4-page Owner's Manual
- Secret pocket
- Three removable and washable sweatband pieces
- Crushable and packable
- Not Guaranteed for Life
- Broad brim
Weighs 4.9 oz.
- Crown: Made from 100% hemp fabric that softens over time but remains durable. It is the world's strongest natural fibre and does not require herbicides or pesticides in crop production. It is truly an environmentally friendly crop.
- Brim: Made from 100% Madagascar raffia.
- Please don't pick the "picks" on the Raffia brim! "Picks" in the Raffia braid may appear over time as the Hat is worn. These "picks" are natural and should not be trimmed. Trimming the braid or trimming threads too close to the braid can cause the braid or stitching to unravel.
- The fabrics of all Tilley Hats have been certified to block 98 percent of harmful UVA/UVB radiation and deliver an ultraviolet factor (UPF) of 50+, the maximum rating given.
- You still need SPF 30 sunscreen and sunglasses with UV filters! Children especially need the UV filters in their sunglasses as non-filtering glasses will increase the size of their pupils, allowing even more of the damaging UV rays to enter. This often causes cataracts and retinal problems later in life and has happened in my (Alex Tilley's) own family.
- The Hat can be spot-cleaned with a soft dampened cloth but not washed. At the front of the hat there is a removable Hydrofil® forehead sweatband that wicks moisture away to keep you cool. The removable sweatband can be hand washed in warm water and soap and air-dried. We provide 3 sweatbands for your convenience.
- In the event of creases, re-shape the hat by softly using your hands. Stubborn creases can be dealt with using steam. Leave it in the bathroom while you take a shower and then re-shape by hand. Another option is to hold it over a teakettle, allowing the steam to penetrate. Re-shape by hand and let dry. Be careful with the steam - it's very hot!
- Try not to crush, or stuff your wet Combo Hat into a bag, etc. It will dry looking crushed! If that happens, simply wet the Hat again with a damp cloth, and follow the directions above.
You must log in to post a product review
Do you already have a Tilley.com profile?
( 5 )
Great sun protection with a feminine touch!
LOVE this hat! I was searching for just the right hat to take with me on safari in Africa. I needed something to protect me from the equatorial sun, but wanted something flattering with a feminine touch. After trying and returning a number of Tilley hats, as soon as I tried on the R9, I knew I had found the perfect hat! Flattering, with a large brim to offer my face lots of shade. I've gotten complements every time I've worn it. Best of all it is lightweight, and packs flat. Thanks, Tilley, for your excellent customer service!
( South Thomaston,
United States )
HERE'S WHY TILLEY HATS ARE ACKNOWLEDGED 'THE BEST IN THE WORLD.'
APPEARANCE AND COMFORT:
To protect you from the sun and rain, Tilleys fit lower than other hats. This also tends to give one a rather dashing appearance! For your comfort, they're held on by gravity, not painful pressure on your forehead. On a hot muggy day, you'll especially appreciate this!
INSURED AGAINST LOSS:
With your Hat, you'll be provided with "The Straight-Shooter's Statement of Loss of a Tilley Hat" insurance policy. The insurance is for two years, all perils, 50% deductible, and is not issued by Lloyds. We understand the anguish of losing this reliable companion, or of having your dog terminally gnaw it. Should that happen, we'll replace your late, lamented Tilley at half the current catalogue price.
EXCELLENT SUN PROTECTION:
The fabric of all Tilley Hats have been certified to block 98 percent of harmful UVA/UVB radiation and deliver an ultraviolet factor (UPF) of 50+, the maximum rating given.
Yes, this Hat has been treated with a water resistant finish, but it is no sou’wester! The finish will probably give you enough protection to have time to find shelter, but raffia is not meant for a steady rain. We do, however, realize that Mother Nature can be unpredictable, so here are some tips on how to re-shape your Raffia Hat if it does get caught in that downpour! Raffia is pliable, so while it is still wet, re-shape the brim with your hands. Once dry, if you still have some creases use steam, or a damp cloth to smooth over. Try not to crush, or stuff your wet raffia Hat into a bag, etc. It will dry looking crushed! If that happens, simply wet the Hat again with a damp cloth, and follow the directions above.
The Hat comes with an adjustable Wind Cord. When it's windy, you can snug up the chin cord using the toggle. See the Owner's Manual, which accompanies each Hat, for amplification.
4-PAGE OWNER'S MANUAL:
I think you'll find it a good read. It's available in either English or French.
HYDROFIL®. ANTI-SWEAT BAND:
Soft and comfortable, it picks up sweat from your forehead and wicks it away to your temple area where it evaporates. The removable sweatband pieces can be hand washed in warm water and soap and air-dried. We provide 3 sweatbands for your convenience.
Inside the crown is a good-sized pocket sealed with Velcro®. In it, carry your I.D., hotel key, $10 bill (in your case, a $20), plus 50¢ for an emergency phone call.
There are 8 of these in the Secret Pocket. You'll have fun with them; they can even get you into trouble, if you wish.
BUT WHAT MAY BE MOST WONDERFUL OF ALL?
Those who wear Tilleys usually have innate good taste, creative minds and uncommon intelligence. Everybody knows that! And the Hats serve to identify such people to each other - immediately. Because of these exceptional yet shared traits, virtually always, especially in foreign countries, Tilley wearers greet each other. Friendships have been formed because of the Hat, and that can be the nicest thing of all.