You said it
“In Ireland on a tour, the day we visited Cliffs of Moher it was raining very heavily and very windy. We all got soaked. After an hour on the bus we stopped for lunch and I was the only person who got off with dry pants! A number of people asked me about my amazing Tilley pants. Also, my Tilley Hat kept off the rain, but most important were its ties which withstood the wind.”
, British Columbia
LT5B Breathable Nylon Hat
The LT5B Tilley Hat, designed with a medium brim, is made with a breathable nylon fabric that has a durable weather and stain repellant finish. This lightweight fabric is tightly woven for high abrasion resistance, better shape retention, excellent breathability and superior comfort.
Read Reviews |
Write a Review
Select your size
Fitting the Hat
Please double-check that you have selected the correct sizing and color above before you add this item to your shopping cart.
- Guaranteed for life not to wear out
- Insured against loss
- Excellent sun protection, rated UPF 50+
- Dark underbrim for glare protection
- Repels rain, floats
- Ties on in the wind
- Machine washable, won't shrink
- 4-page Owner's Manual
- Secret pocket
- Medium brim with ventilation grommets
Brim size: Front: 2 5/8" Back: 2 3/4" Sides: 2 1/8"
Weighs 3 ounces
- Made from 93% breathable nylon and 7% Spandex.
- The fabrics of all Tilley Hats have been certified to block 98 percent of harmful UVA/UVB radiation and deliver an ultraviolet factor (UPF) of 50+, the maximum rating given.
- You still need SPF 30 sunscreen and sunglasses with UV filters! Children especially need the UV filters in their sunglasses as non-filtering glasses will increase the size of their pupils, allowing even more of the damaging UV rays to enter. This often causes cataracts and retinal problems later in life and has happened in my (Alex Tilley's) own family.
- Yes, Dorothy, there can be truth in advertising. For instance, although our Hats block 98% of UV rays, some rays COULD enter through the ventilation grommets.
- The sweatband fabric, TRANSPOR® DRY LAYER, offers superior moisture control technology. Perspiration slides through the inner layer to the outer wicking layer of the fabric where it spreads and evaporates. It will keep you cool and dry in the heat.
- We hand-sew each Hat using very strong thread; all seams are lock-stitched so they won't unravel. The brass is from Britain and is the best there is. All Hats are made with such care and dedication that one is as good as another. Your Tilley will be equal to that presented to a president or princess. ("Hi, Duke! How long have you had your Tilley?" could be an effective opener.)
- Wash it frequently or non-removable sweat stains will mar it and possibly rot it. Machine wash on delicate cycle separately or hand wash in cool water. Do not use bleach as it remains inside the Hat, slowly rotting it. Smooth and reshape the Hat by hand and set it out to air dry. When the Hat is dry, simply re-stretch it, as an American sailor showed us, by putting your knee in the crown, and pulling firmly on the opposite side.
You must log in to post a product review
Do you already have a Tilley.com profile?
( 5 )
Best for hot weather
I bought an LT5B last spring, bringing my Tilley hat collection to six. This is the lightest and coolest wearing of the bunch, much like the original Nylamtium, more comfortable on hot days. My advice - consider this for warm weather and the Tec-Wool for rest of the time. You've got it covered and look great!
United States )
( 5 )
Best hat ever
I've had a Nylantium T5 hat for about fifteen years, with eleven of those years living on a sailboat in the tropics, and just now back from a two-week trip in China. It was always comfortable, it's certainly been durable, and it garners favorable comments. It hasn't really worn out, but it's getting kind of ragged by now. I'm getting another one as close to the original as possible. Great work, Tilley!
( 1 )
Poor choice if you sweat
This is my 4th Tilley hat and the only one I can not recommend. I bought it because I thought it would be great for travel in hot countries. I discovered that the sweat band is not adequate on a nylon hat. After a 4 week trip to India the hat has large sweat stains in front that will not come out. Tilley recommends soaking in vinegar to remove (not possible on a trip) but that did not work after I returned home.
The hat is no longer wearable.
( 5 )
Perfect backpacking hat
I bought this several weeks ago in advance of a summer trip to Montana for a week of backpacking and fishing. The LT5B is cool and lightweight and provided great protection during a couple of rain and hail storms. The shorter brim provided perfect sun protection on my face and neck, but didn't interfere with the back of a large backpack or headrests in the car. The adjustable straps worked great and kept it on during high winds in the mountains and a Jeep ride along the Gallatin River.
The Tilley is definitely the finest hat around and it's well worth the price. The quality, fit and comfort are unparalleled. It looks great too. Highly recommended for any outdoor enthusiast looking for great sun and rain protection.
Bravo, Tilley Endurables!
( 5 )
My favorite hat!
Now that the weather's warming up, I'm looking forward to my third summer of hiking the great plains with this great hat. It's perfect for those hot sunny days that turn into rainy evenings in Nebraska.
( 5 )
Great summer hat!
You won't even know you're wearing a hat it's so light on your head. It's a buy in any color!
HERE'S WHY TILLEY HATS ARE ACKNOWLEDGED 'THE BEST IN THE WORLD.'
APPEARANCE AND COMFORT:
To protect you from the sun and rain, Tilleys fit lower than other hats. This also tends to give one a rather dashing appearance!
For your comfort, they're held on by gravity, not painful pressure on your forehead. On a hot muggy day, you'll especially appreciate this!
Your Hat is guaranteed for life (yours, mine or its) not to wear out or fall apart. We're delighted to think that yours may be passed on to the next generation!
INSURED AGAINST LOSS:
With your Hat, you'll be provided with "The Straight-Shooter's Statement of Loss of a Tilley Hat" insurance policy. The insurance is for two years, all perils, 50% deductible, and is not issued by Lloyds.
We understand the anguish of losing this reliable companion, or of having your dog terminally gnaw it. Should that happen, we'll replace your late, lamented Tilley at half the current catalogue price.
EXCELLENT SUN PROTECTION:
The fabric of all Tilley Hats have been certified to block 98 percent of harmful UVA/UVB radiation and deliver an ultraviolet factor (UPF) of 50+, the maximum rating given.
Yes, Dorothy, there can be truth in advertising. For instance, although our Hats block 98% of UV rays, some rays COULD enter through the ventilation grommets.
Many Hats have a dark underbrim to reduce glare from water, sand and pavement.
Not perfectly but usually quite adequately. The brim channels water away for improved foul-weather protection.
A layer of closed-cell foam in the crown, and sometimes in the brim, provides the Tilley's positive buoyancy. This is a boon to boaters and fishermen/women/people. Good grief!
People have told us that this foam layer has helped save their lives. Double your money back if it doesn't save yours. Apply personally....
The Tilley comes with a tuckaway, adjustable, fore 'n' aft Wind Cord. When it's calm, the Wind Cord stays hidden in the crown. When there's a breeze, place the part with the sliding knots behind your head. When it's windy or you're sailing, use the chin part too.
See the Owner's Manual, which accompanies each Hat, for amplification or visit our Facebook page to watch the Tilley Hat Wind Cord tutorial.
After washing, smooth and reshape the Hat by hand and set it out to air dry. When the Hat is dry, simply re-stretch it, as an American sailor showed us, by putting your knee in the crown, and pulling firmly on the opposite side.
4-PAGE OWNER'S MANUAL:
You'll find it a good read. It's also available in Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean and Spanish. Please specify if it should be other than in English.
The sweatband fabric, TRANSPOR® DRY LAYER, offers superior moisture control technology. Perspiration slides through the inner layer to the outer wicking layer of the fabric where it spreads and evaporates. It will keep you cool and dry in the heat.
Inside the crown is a good-sized pocket sealed with Velcro®. In it, carry your I.D., hotel key, $10 bill (in your case, a $20), plus 50¢ for an emergency phone call.
There are 8 of these in the Secret Pocket. You'll have fun with them; they can even get you into trouble, if you wish.
Most hat makers make 4 or 5 sizes; we make 13, and even individual Hats beyond that size range when necessary.
As a matter of principle, no one shall be deprived of the pleasure and privileges of Tilley Hat ownership simply because of an uncommon head size.
BUT WHAT MAY BE MOST WONDERFUL OF ALL?
Those who wear Tilleys usually have innate good taste, creative minds and uncommon intelligence. Everybody knows that! And the Hats serve to identify such people to each other - immediately.
Because of these exceptional yet shared traits, virtually always, especially in foreign countries, Tilley wearers greet each other. Friendships have been formed because of the Hat, and that can be the nicest thing of all.